1) The disease does not stop after going gluten free – A 2009 study from the Journal of Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics indicated that after studying 465 Celiac disease patients only 8% of the group reached “histological normalization” after following a strict gluten free diet for 16 months. That is, only 8% of the group regained a healthy gut. Their final conclusion:
“Complete normalization of duodenal lesions is exceptionally rare in adult coeliac patients despite adherence to GFD.” We cannot be passive after a diagnosis of Celiac, or gluten sensitivity. Your quality of life depends on you taking action and determining any remaining food allergens, sources of inflammation or gut imbalances. Please consider working with a trained functional medicine doctor to help attain optimal health!
2) Hidden contamination is the most common cause for relapse – Research paper after paper indicates that non-compliance to a gluten free diet will continue the vicious auto-immune circle of damage and adhering to a 100% gluten free diet is the first step in healing. The most common source of hidden contamination is eating out or using packaged foods with shared equipment!
3) Cross reactivity may hinder full healing – To date there are 24 different foods that can mimic gluten because the amino acid sequences found in say corn, rice or buckwheat are similar to those found in gluten containing grains.
So, even though a gluten free diet is adhered to the typical gluten free foods may continue to drive the vicious circle of disease.
4) A safety blanket called DPPIV – This digestive enzyme should normally be produced to help us break gluten down but in those with intolerance it appears we may have less available or it just doesn’t work the same. So, for eating out or where circumstances prevent full control of the food you are exposed to, we recommend a product call “gluten flam”, which can help control exposure to gluten. Please DO NOT consider this a “fix” to the problem and use as if it were a cure to regular exposure to gluten.
5) 5 labs that MUST be checked that are frequently out of balance:
So many people struggle post diagnosis (which is many times a feat in itself!) that I have focused my practice into helping this unique patient population. I have heard horror story after horror story of Gastroenterologists telling patients little to nothing except they have this “Celiac” disease and they should avoid gluten. Well I’m here to tell you that you have some one on your side, fighting for your health. I’m confident that if you can change your diet, take some supplements and maintain a positive attitude, you will dramatically change your health. My Grandfather died of Celiac disease and if I can prevent one more person from suffering needlessly, I will have triumphed as a doctor. If you were recently diagnosed or are a long-term sufferer, enough is enough, pick up the phone and call the Dr. Autoimmune and we will let your health soar!
Ian really knows A LOT about thyroid problems! His knowledge and confidence convinced me to make the lifestyle changes -including no gluten, no sugar, and more exercise-that are essential to healing hormonal imbalances and to staying well. Several months later, I feel stronger, more energetic, and am happier than I have felt in a long time. Many thanks for all your help!
We’ve set up a comprehensive new patient special that includes everything necessary to determine the root cause of your condition and start you on the journey to getting your life back.
✓ 1-Hour Comprehensive Physical and Neurologic Exam
✓ Advanced Brain Mapping
✓ Complete Blood Panel – Examining Over 80 Unique Markers (Includes lab fees)
✓ Follow Up Session to Review Findings and Develop Customized Care Plan
Optimal wellness is just a click away.